Russia Flies Stealthy MiG-21

Dron

втянувшийся
[June 2, 2000] Russian scientists developed and successfully tested new stealth technology for the Mig-21 family recently, over the test polygon, just beside Sokol PP in Nizhniy Novgorod city. According to Sokol Production Plant officials, tests, during which 3 aircraft were deployed, were run by RSK -MiG and Moscow State Institute of Theoretical and Practical Electrodynamics while funding was provided by the second biggest National arms exporter "Rosvooruzhnie".
Direct experiments proved effectiveness of the special coating for the aircraft's surface areas. Airborne radar of the fighter-interceptor could only detect new Mig-21 on twice the smaller range as compared to usual Mig-21 models. Engineers claim, that the effective reflection surface of the aircraft became 10-15 times lower as compared to Mig-21 base model.

Zed

новичок
Any details on what form this 'coating' takes, paint? resin coat? composite shell?

Z

+
-
edit

Vladimir

новичок
Maybe that plasma staff?
I heard about the technology from
guys working in Gromov LII.

Zed

новичок
The plasma thing sounds a bit extravagant for this aircraft, considering cost and weight.

But its quite an achivement to get this type of reduction. Replacing most of the skin with composites would be too expensive, so there must be some inexpensive coating applied to it.

I remember back in the early 90s coming across discussion of an Su-25 with a 'stealth-coating'...maybe its that.

Z

[Edited by Zed (14-06-2000 at 01:36).]

Dron

втянувшийся
They said it's just a paint.
I however expect it to something more.

You should also keep in mind that infra-red tracks remained the same because there was no jet replacement announced so in actual life that "stealth" ain't actually a real stealth. It's just a anti-homming stealth if you know what I'm trying to say.

+
-
edit

Vladimir

новичок
Yes, but probably the plasma stealth is cheaper,
and it keeps its original aerodynamics.
So you can take any aircraft (or not an aircraft) and install the system.
Aircraft still holds manoeuvrablity and other features of such kind.

If you like you may upgrade the plane with
some anti-IR-radiation system.

Zed

новичок
Dron, i understand what you are trying to say, but there are measures that can be taken in such situations.

Take Greece; they have just ordered a batch of F-16Cs which are to have the 'SE' configuration conformal fuel packs and the LOAN (low observability asymmetric nozzle) attachment. This does not affect the engine, or engine choice. A P&W unit rated at 29k lb st thrust was chosen only cos the US would not allow them to buy GE's 32k lb st engine.

So with an existing engine stealth measures to drop IR (through mixing) and radar signature can be made.

Z

Dron

втянувшийся
Zed>>> What you say makes a lot of sense to me. Still, to be a real stealth you need flat nozzle engines (even Russians said that flat nozzle engine is much better in terms of stealthiness) with lower heat track jets similar to those engines installed on F-22A. Oh yeah, just today I found out that India already placed an order for these half-stealths. Does anyone have any details?

Also, anybody here attended that airshow in Germany recently? There were a bunch of aircraft presented including the half-stealth Fishbed. Maybe someone by any chance took a picture - I'm STARVING to see it!

Zed

новичок
I'm of to Farnbborough2000 in a bit, if its there i will see what i can do.

As to stealth nozzels having to be flat...i disagree, at least from the point of IR signiture; what a flat nozzel does allow is a reduction in radar signiture; IR signiture reduction is a function of the length of the pipe and the level of mixing before flow exit. The reason for systems like LOAN as that of radar reduction and they claim this is very effective (not that i believe it :) )

Z

Dron

втянувшийся
Zed.
Are you from Britain? If yes, than I would REALLY like you to get a picture of that MiG.
You may e-mail it to me: hiandreimail.com

Thanks, in advance.

Dron

втянувшийся
Chee, why would you ever bother of learning Russian?
It's a pain in your ass! (VERY DIFFICULT)

Well, there is a place I know where you can actually learn Russian letters!
It's a commercial site selling Russian MECHANICAL watches where I bought myself an Aviator but anyway. Here is the link: acoola.com - это наилучший источник информации по теме aco ola.

Oh yeah, remember to set your browser to Cyrilic (Windows) fonts to read Russian properly. It's your right click and then Encording option if you use Internet Explorer.

If you want something specific - ask me and I'll tell you WHATEVER you want because as you already figured out - I AM A RUSSIAN person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zed

новичок
Yeap i'm in the UK...if i can get hold of my bro's SLR camera...but i'm not promising anything. Also i do not have a scanner, so i hay have to resort to mailing re-prints if you REALLY want them. But then again it may not show there, but other good stuff will...so if you are interested.

I found out some new things about LOAN; they use a coolant fluid to kee the nozzel temp down. At a guess there must be some sort of flow matrix in the nozzel assembly. That would help alot, BUT there would be additional power use and the loss of some thermal efficiency.

Z

Zed

новичок
...oh and anyone want to help me better my Russian :-D! I can sort of read it now, but you guys still have me turning to the online translator...seriously, do any of you know any good online resources for learning Russian?

Z

Zed

новичок
Not so! Most of the words sound the same as in english, which makes it not that bad, all i need to do is be able to read the letters and pronounce them. But your grammar is VERY confusing!???:(

It so much more eligant than english! :D

Z

Dron

втянувшийся
Well, I told you where to learn Russian letters. One thing you was right about is that there are many words very similar to English however it still doesn't mean that you'll be able to say or understand something - you'll understand only separate words.

Cheers.

Dron

втянувшийся
OK.
I wonder why would they bring it there? It would be more reasonable to skip that show. I'm more than sure that it will be just a NATO gang-bang where only jews, yankees, and french will score - not Russians:)

How is your progress with Russian by the way? Or you've already decided not to learn it anymore:)

Zed

новичок
Sorry Dron,

But it appears the only Russian plane to appear at F2000 will be the Su-32...THIS WILL BE THE ONLY PLANE!....bummer.

Z

AD Реклама Google — средство выживания форумов :)

Zed

новичок
The reason they are bringing it is to show to the Indians and other SE Asian nations (Malaysia?) to try and get sales off those nations with a coastline to guard.

Russian is going well...just expanding my vocabulary! :)

Z

в начало страницы | новое

Поиск
Настройки
Твиттер сайта
Статистика
Рейтинг@Mail.ru